Posted 9/15/21

From Page B-1 touchdown run to cut the Wildcat lead to 15. The success in the rushing attack for the Vikings continued into the fourth quarter. Quarterback Luke LeClaire made a few defenders miss and …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in



From Page B-1

touchdown run to cut the Wildcat lead to 15. The success in the rushing attack for the Vikings continued into the fourth quarter. Quarterback Luke LeClaire made a few defenders miss and went 51 yards for a touchdown to make it a 2214 game.

The rushing attack for Holmen continued. A few minutes later running back Braedon Graw scored on a 40-yard touchdown run that made the score 22-20 in favor of River Falls. The Vikings’ two-point rushing attempt was no good, preserving the Wildcats’ lead.

After giving up three unanswered touchdowns, the Wildcats’ offense bounced back. In what was a two-point game, Massa threw a 16yard touchdown pass from the shotgun formation, again connecting with Campbell, his third receiving touchdown of the game. The successful PAT gave RFHS a comfortable two-score lead 29-20. Several minutes later Massa iced the game when he unleashed a 31-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Jordan Karras. The touchdown put RFHS up 35-20 late in the fourth quarter, a lead that the Wildcats held until the game was over.

The Wildcats are tied for first place in the Mississippi Valley Conference standings with Sparta and West Salem. The next game for RFHS is on Friday, Sept. 17, at home against La Crosse Central. The kickoff for that game is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Prescott defeats Saint Croix Central 25-0

The Prescott Cardinals football team also convincingly won on Friday night. Head coach Jordan Hansen’s team shut out the Saint Croix Central Panthers, a victory that moved Prescott’s record to 3-1 overall and 2-0 in Middle Border Conference play.

After an uneventful first few minutes of the game, Prescott’s offense got on the board. Quarterback Grant Stanton threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Justin Syverson with six minutes remaining in the first quarter. As time began to run out in the first quarter Prescott struck again. Stanton again threw a 19-yard touchdown pass. This time it was a connection with senior wide receiver Phil Seifert. Prescott’s 12-0 lead remained until there was 10:33 remaining in the third quarter.

That’s when the Cardinals expanded the lead. A two-yard touchdown run by Aiden Russell put Prescott up 18-0. The final touchdown of the game was again a Stanton pass to Seifert for a 12-yard touchdown, Stanton’s third of the game. Prescott sent Saint Croix Central home with a 25-0 defeat.

The next game for the Prescott Cardinals is on Friday, Sept. 17, on the road against the Amery Warriors in another Middle Border Conference matchup. The kickoff for that game is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Spring Valley defeats Boyceville 35-6, first place in Dunn-St. Croix Conference

The Spring Valley Cardinals were also in action under the lights on Friday night. In the first quarter, Spring Valley began scoring points early and often. Connor Ducklow was lighting up the scoreboard. With 3:57 remaining in the first quarter, Ducklow threw a 47-yard pass to Cade Stasiek to put Spring Valley up 7-0.

Ducklow catalyzed subsequent scores that included a four-yard touchdown run and a 56-yard touchdown pass. At halftime, the Cardinals led Boyceville 21-0. Less than five minutes into the second half, Spring Valley running back Justin Rielly pushed forward for a three-yard touchdown run to give the Cardinals a 28-0 lead. Two touchdowns were scored in garbage time – one by each team – that made the final score 35-6.

Ducklow’s passing attack was the driving force behind the Cardinals’ victory. He completed nine of his 11 pass attempts which accounted for 280 yards and three touchdowns, including a perfect quarterback rating of 158.3.

The victory moved Spring Valley into first place in the Dunn-St. Croix Conference standings ahead of Boyceville and Elmwood/Plum City. The next game for Spring Valley is Friday night at home against Glenwood City. That game will begin at 7 p.m.

Elmwood/Plum City back in the win column, 34-20 over Glenwood City

The Elmwood/Plum City football team earned its first win of the season on Friday night on the road against Glenwood City, a game that the Wolves won 34-20.

The Wolves got on the board first with a oneyard touchdown run by quarterback Luke Webb that capped off a long possession. The Glenwood City offense wasted almost no time responding, as their offense scored 19 seconds later on a 51-yard touchdown run by Brady Mc-Carthy to trim the Wolves’ lead to 8-6.

Webb threw two more touchdown passes in the second quarter. The first was a 14-yard pass to Trevor Asher and the second was another connection with Asher, a 27-yard score that expanded the Wolves’ lead to 20-6. The team traded scores through the second quarter and into the third quarter.

With less than three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, the Wolves’ lead was six points and they were driving down the field trying to put the game away. That’s when Asher broke free and scored on a 26-yard touchdown run that put Elmwood/Plum City up 32-20. The 12-point lead secured the first victory of the year for the Wolves.

Elmwood/Plum City is now 1-3 this season and will play its next game on Friday night on the road against the Clear Lake Warriors. That game is set to kick off at 7 p.m.