Police Department Reports

Posted 3/22/22

RIVER FALLS Police Department Reports The following incidents were reported to River Falls Police Department Feb. 24 through March 14. Thursday, Feb. 24 At 6:36 p.m., someone turned in a purse they …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Department Reports


RIVER FALLS Police Department Reports

The following incidents were reported to River Falls Police Department Feb. 24 through March 14.

Thursday, Feb. 24

At 6:36 p.m., someone turned in a purse they had found at the intersection of West Charlotte and State streets. In the purse, an officer found a syringe cap and four, small glass jars usually used to store controlled substances. The liquid in one jar tested positive for methamphetamine. The suspected owner of the purse was identified and contacted that night. She came to the police station on March 2 to claim her property, but said she had only lost her wallet, not a purse. She told police the purse and vials did not belong to her and that her children’s father was trying to set her up. Charges for possess drug paraphernalia and possession of methamphetamine were sent to the district attorney’s office for review.

Tuesday, March 1

Officers responded at 8:42 p.m. to 170 Broadway St. for a domestic in progress reported by a third party. When police arrived, no one would answer the door, but they saw through a window a man limping and holding an ice pack to his mouth. The home’s occupants refused to allow police in or come outside to talk. The alleged victim said he was tired and trying to go to bed. He denied anything physical occurring.

Police were called at 10:42 p.m. to 127 S. Fourth St. for a runaway teenager who had allegedly taken $100 from the parents before leaving around 8:30 p.m. After checking around town, a Family Fresh employee reported seeing the juvenile buying energy drinks. At 7:30 a.m. March 2, the mother called police to report the juvenile had returned home.

At 2:33 p.m., a Renaissance Charter School employee reported a student receiving a death threat via text message. In speaking with the student, police learned the student had connected with someone over Instagram and they had become friends, even exchanging cell phone numbers. The friend sent the student a digital check for $2,000. When the student questioned the check, the sender did not respond. When the student tried to cash the check, it was denied. Realizing it was a scam, the student blocked the sender on Instagram, but began receiving death threats via text from different numbers. The threats said the sender was an assassin and would kill the student and family if the money wasn’t repaid (which the check was never cashed).

Wednesday, March 2

Police reported at 4:08 p.m. to Dick’s Hometown Liquor (1141 N. Main St.) for a gas drive-off. Police were able to track down the vehicle’s registered owner through the license plates, but the woman told police she had sold the vehicle in 2021. The vehicle’s current owner was tracked down and he told police he’d pay for the gas after admitting he left without paying for it.

Thursday, March 3

At 9:40 a.m., police received a reckless driving complaint concerning a River Falls High School student driving over someone’s yard in a residential area near RFHS. The driver also had two other students riding in the bed of the pickup. One complainant told police she’d provide photos to the police. When an officer went to the yard, he didn’t find any tire tracks at that time. The complaint resulted in an altercation between two students later in the day, when one student glared at another student and that student grabbed him by the shirt. The case remains under investigation with possible disorderly conduct citations pending.

At noon, police responded to BP (700 N. Main St.) for a welfare check on a woman yelling and barking at cars. The woman, identified as Naihla Laquann Buckley, 36, River Falls, was found standing outside the ValuStay. She appeared agitated. She went from speaking rapidly and crying to being calm. She complained about being mistreated by police and “violated by energy.” She also said she could hear the cars talking, which is why she was yelling at them. Buckley was told she couldn’t stay at ValuStay with her mother due to a bond condition of no contact, but she refused to say whether or not her mother was in the room. Finally, her mother came outside and was upset that police were there. She said she was trying to find Buckley a ride to a court appearance, scheduled for 2:15 p.m. that day, where they were hoping to get the bond conditions modified so Buckley could stay with her, as she had nowhere else to go. Due to Buckley’s state of mind and lack of understanding of her bond conditions, police chose not to arrest her. At the time she was supposed to be in court, police received a report of her yelling at people on Main Street. A warrant was issued from St. Croix County for her arrest.

Officers responded at 9:10 p.m. to ValuStay Inn (708 N. Main St.) for a possible bail violation. The complainant reported that Naihla Laquann Buckley, 36, River Falls, was violating a no-contact bond violation. Prior to this incident, officers had multiple contacts with Buckley in 24 hours, including at 12:25 a.m. when she was walking down the middle of the road; at 9:29 a.m. at Bob & Steve’s BP (700 N. Main St.) when she allegedly smoked weed in the bathroom; at 11:56 a.m. when an anonymous complainant reported her running around “acting crazy;” and at 1:53 p.m. yelling to herself down Main Street. When police arrived at the ValuStay, Buckley ran across Main Street and was almost struck by a vehicle. They found her hiding behind a vehicle at Little Caesar’s Pizza, but when she saw police, she bolted back toward the ValuStay. Buckley’s mother met police outside and told them to leave Buckley alone. They informed her of the no-contact bond violation and Buckley spoke to police through the motel room window. Buckley said she would try to find somewhere else to stay until the bond conditions could be modified. Police agreed to not enforce the bond condition at that time unless further problems arose.

At 9:56 p.m., a complainant reported a possible intoxicated driver heading from 320 Roosevelt St. to the Econo Lodge. A woman had left the house after a verbal argument. Officers ultimately located the suspect, identified as Sabrina Lynn Deiss, 30, River Falls, at the Radisson Hotel (100 Spring St.) She walked into the lobby carrying a bag from Holiday, smelled of intoxicants, swayed back and forth and had glassy eyes. She admitted to driving after having eight to 12 drinks. Deiss told the officer she had driven to Culver’s to get food before checking in at the Radisson. She agreed to perform field sobriety tests, which she failed. She was arrested and brought to the station for booking, where she registered a 0.11 BAC. She was cited $861 for OWI and $861 for operating with PAC. After booking, she was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire for voluntary treatment.

Friday, March 4

Officers reported at 3:53 p.m. to River Falls Tire (410 N. Main St.) where a disabled vehicle was blocking traffic and the driver was yelling obscenities at people who were taking photos in front of the laundromat. When police arrived, a 50-year-old man with a megaphone was standing on the sidewalk, yelling about his vehicle being broken down and how law enforcement/Jerry’s Towing broke it. The front axle was broken and officers called a tow truck to come remove it. While gathering items from his vehicle, the man continued to yell about law enforcement and added comments about Russians. Two people videoed the encounter from the laundromat. The tow truck arrived and took the vehicle to Jerry’s impound lot. Police offered the man a courtesy ride to his other vehicle in the 100 block of West Johnson Street, which he accepted. On the ride, he accused an officer of doing him wrong because of his “slick hair,” but said he’d back up officers if the Russians came.

Police reported at 4:28 p.m. to 218 W. Charlotte St. for a controlled substance complaint. A complainant said he saw a man smoking crystal meth in a vehicle in the parking lot. When police arrived, the suspect, identified as Ernest V. Davis, 63, River Falls, was sitting in a vehicle rocking back and forth and acting erratically. The officer saw a glass bubble smoking device in the center console cup holder. When the officer opened the car door to announce their presence, Davis refused to get out of the vehicle and requested an ambulance for ankle pain. When EMS arrived to evaluate him, they observed a container of meth under the front seat. Davis was arrested for possession of methamphetamine and possess drug paraphernalia and transported to Pierce County Jail.

Saturday, March 5 Cory Allan Coppler, 33, River Falls, was arrested and cited $861 for OWI and $861 for operating with PAC after a traffic stop for speeding at 1:25 a.m. at West Division Street and Apollo Road. Coppler had slurred speech and smelled of alcohol. He told police he was taking two other people home from Junior’s. After failing field sobriety tests and registering a 0.107 BAC, Coppler was arrested and cited while the two passengers called an Uber for a ride.

Police came upon a sign lying in the roadway at 10:15 a.m. on Highway 35 just north of Highway 29. The sign’s post was broken off and appeared to have been hit by someone heading south. No vehicle remnants were found in the roadway. Pierce County Highway Department was notified.

Sunday, March 6

Officers were dispatched at 3:59 a.m. to 1485 Wildcat Court for a domestic in progress. Two people there reported arguing over coparenting issues but said nothing had gotten physical. One of the people involved, identified as Deonta Martez Traxler, 25, River Falls, had a St. Croix County failure to appear warrant. Police arrested him and transported him to St. Croix County Jail.

Gordon Depriest Mays,

37, Coon Rapids, Minn., was arrested and cited $174.40 for speeding on expressway and $187 for possession of THC after a traffic stop for speeding 83 mph on Highway 35 and 53 mph in a 25-mph-zone on Division Street at 10:48 p.m. Police caught up with him and pulled him over near Second and Pine streets. Upon smelling marijuana during the traffic stop, Mays’ vehicle was searched. Police found a couple of burnt roaches and a THC vape pen.

Monday, March 7

Police responded at 1:31 a.m. to Kwik Trip (1238 N Main St.) for a welfare check on an man who appeared to be confused. When police arrived, they found a man hunched over in the driver’s seat of a vehicle. They had a tough time getting him to wake up by knocking on the window, so they opened the door and tapped his shoulder. When he woke up, he had slurred speech, glassy and bloodshot eyes and smelled of alcohol. He spoke unintelligibly; police also saw a machete in his backseat. The man, identified as Anthony Joseph Wisnewski,

26, Hatley, slowly became more coherent and agreed to perform field sobriety tests, which he failed. He was arrested and cited $861 for OWI and $187 for possession of THC (due to a vape pen testing positive for THC found on him). After a blood draw at the hospital, he was released into the custody of a friend.

At 11:58 a.m., a resident in the 400 block of Griffey Street reported online fraud. When attempting to buy a 2010 Buick Enclave off Ebay Motors, she ended up losing about $2,600 after downloading an app that took money from her bank account without her permission.

See more River Falls Police Reports on Page B-11