Prescott pursuit ends in downtown crash

Posted 6/14/22

MN driver flees police twice By Sarah Nigbor PRESCOTT – A Minnesota man fled police twice in less than an hour during traffic stops for speeding 100 mph on Highway 10, putting himself and others in …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Prescott pursuit ends in downtown crash


MN driver flees police twice

By Sarah Nigbor

PRESCOTT – A Minnesota man fled police twice in less than an hour during traffic stops for speeding 100 mph on Highway 10, putting himself and others in danger. The pursuit, which was called o before it reached downtown Prescott, resulted in the suspect crashing his car near the Prescott clock tower.

Michael Kevin Jones, 53, Brooklyn Center, Minn., posted a $10,000 signature bond June 6 on felony second-degree recklessly endangering safety, felony vehicle operator fleeing/eluding an officer, resisting or obstructing an officer, possession of cocaine and possession of THC charges. He will appear in Pierce County Circuit Court again at 2:30 p.m. June 24 for a status conference. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison and/or fines up to $25,000.

According to the com – plaint: At 5:52 p.m. June 4, Pierce County Sheri’s Office deputies received a driving complaint about a white Cadillac with Minnesota plates heading west on Highway 10 that was all over the road, passing people, had been in the ditch, and had run stoplights and signs in Ellsworth. They passed the information onto Prescott police, who waited for the car at city limits. The officer clocked the Cadillac going 100 mph in a 55-mph zone and witnessed it pass two vehicles in a no-passing zone between Dexter Street and Highway 29. Suddenly, the car came to an abrupt stop in the right-turn lane to Highway 29.

See JONES CASE, Page 11 Jones Case

from Page 1

When the officer made contact with the driver, later identified as Jones, he had no seat belt on and his seat was leaned way back. He denied knowing why he had been pulled over. He asked police if his speed was acceptable and denied passing vehicles or speeding. After spending quite a bit of time trying to find his insurance on his phone, he started becoming belligerent and used profanity. While the officer was running Jones’ information on the squad computer, Jones got out of his vehicle and started yelling. Two other officers on the scene tried calming him down, but he became more and more upset.

When officers told Jones they were going to search the vehicle because it smelled like marijuana, he told them he is allowed to have medical marijuana in Minnesota but doesn’t smoke it while he drives. He became more upset when the officers told him Wisconsin doesn’t allow it. Officers escorted him to a squad, at which time he pulled a baggie of marijuana out of his pocket.

When officers attempted to handcuff Jones, he began pulling his right arm away and resisted, but they were able to get him in the squad. As the officer explained the speeding citation, Jones said he just wanted to go. The officer told him he could leave after the vehicle search, but Jones began to get agitated, saying the handcuffs were on too tight and that he wanted to punch people. He started yelling and was upset about the vehicle search.

The officer was having trouble with the computer printer (for the citation), so they went to another squad to print it. At that time, the officer saw their squad shaking and could hear Jones pounding on the window screaming. A deputy opened the door and asked Jones if they should have EMS respond, but Jones said he just wanted out of the car. Police still paged EMS because Jones said he couldn’t breathe. The deputy said he’d remove the handcuffs if Jones was cooperative.

Once the cuffs were removed and Jones was out of the squad, he walked to the front of another squad and started pounding on the driver’s side window, then tried opening the door to get inside. The deputy ordered Jones to go sit in his car several times, but he ignored commands. He then walked quickly toward his car, got into it and slammed the door. He revved the engine, put the car in drive and sped off at 80 mph, almost hitting another vehicle.

Officers began their pursuit, watching as Jones weaved in and out of traffic on Highway 10 near Canton Street. The officer caught up to him near Hilton Street, where the Cadillac abruptly stopped. The officer approached the car and told him to get out, but Jones swore at the officer and took off again while he was trying to open his door.

Officers called off the pursuit at 6:39 p.m. because the car was heading toward downtown Prescott. Police continued west on Highway 10 in case the Cadillac had crashed, which it had, on the walkway railing near the clock tower at 237 Broad St. Jones voluntarily exited his vehicle and walked toward the officer, put his arms behind his back, but resisted when the officer tried to handcuff him again. He kept saying, “You could have just let me go, why didn’t you just let me go.” EMS responded to evaluate Jones, who had blood dripping from his nose.

Prescott Fire also responded because the crashed Caddy had smoke pouring out and fluids leaking. While the officer was taking photos, Jones began pounding his head against the squad window, saying he couldn’t breathe. When EMS arrived, Jones remained uncooperative and demanded the handcuffs be removed while swearing at officers. The entire ride to River Falls Area Hospital, Jones yelled and swore profusely. Jones was also uncooperative with hospital staff, using profanity and refusing to answer questions. The doctor finally asked police to remove Jones, who was transported him to Pierce County Jail.

The Cadillac search revealed 2.7 grams of marijuana and cocaine in a clear baggie. Jones’ criminal history shows that he’s fled from police many times in the past.